Lace Up Sweatshirt
Hello my thrifty friends!
So we’ve all heard the expression to not judge a book by it’s cover, right?! Well surprisingly enough it’s the same with clothes, and when you thrift as much as I do, you sometimes have to get creative.
I’ve seen the lace up trend everywhere lately, and in so many different ways, so I wanted to give it a try myself. Since we’ve established that I’m quite thrifty, I wanted to do something that would be both trendy and inexpensive, because both are equally important to me.
On one of my thrifting adventures I found this Men’s XL Hanes sweatshirt, and I instantly thought it would be the perfect piece for this project, I specifically looked in the men’s section, because I wanted to create a baggy look. Also It had a very worn look, the color is faded, and there are a few tears in the fabric, but it was exactly what I was looking for. The fact that it was only $1 made it just that more appealing for this project.
The only things that I bought to create this look was the sweatshirt, grommet ribbon and the para-cord all of which totaled to under $6. I paired it with my favorite American Apparel bodysuit and theses thigh high boots for somewhat of a dressy/casual look. I think if you wanted more of a casual look, it’d be easy just to switch to sneakers. I love using the para-cord, because it brings more of a sporty vibe to the look, but there are so many options to choose from when it comes the lacing you want to use.
If this is a trend that you love, the next time that you’re hitting the thrift store, keep an eye out for anything that this would work on. Depending on how you want this to fall on yourself should dictate what sections you should look at thrift store. My advice for any thrifter is that just because it’s not perfect now, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have the possibility to look amazing.
(Psst…Below I’ve added step by step directions below on how to recreate this look.)
Bodysuit – American Apparel
Sweatshirt – Thrifted (similar style)
Boots – Reshop Store ( I bought them for $50)
This cool DIY Sweatshirt for under $6 total!
- Sweater was $1 local thrift store
- Grommet ribbon $2 on eBay
- Para-cord string $2 at Walmart
- Hem Tape $2 at Walmart (I have a sewing machine, but this is the next best thing)
- First you’ll want to find a sweatshirt or sweater to fit the look that you’re going for. I look for the mens sizes because I want to fit larger on me like a dress.
- Try on your sweatshirt and decide where you want the v to fall on you and mark it. I like having a deep v, so I make it as long as the grommet ribbon.
- Take off the sweatshirt and fold it in half, this will ensure for an even cut on both sides. Cut out your v to the place you marked previously.
- Unfold your sweatshirt, align your grommet tape along the v, and secure it with pins.
Sewing machine: sew along the v to secure the grommet ribbon
Hem tape: iron along v where you want your grommet ribbon to sit, the take off the backing, flip the sweatshirt inside out and carefully place the grommet ribbon where you want it to fall inside the sweatshirt. Iron over the back and make sure it’s secure.
once everything is all secured, loop your string in between the grommet ribbon and voila! You’re super cute!
View this video below to see a step by step tutorial of how I achieved this look!
(PS the spot on the sweatshirt is actually a paw print from Quinn, she only drinks water with her paws…lol)